Prison Rape Elimination Act
The Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) is a national standard, codified at Title 28 Part 115 of the Code of Federal Regulations (28 CFR 115), mandating zero tolerance of sexual abuse and sexual harassment of persons in the custody of U.S. correctional facilities.
- The Harris Center maintains a zero-tolerance standard for sexual misconduct in any correctional or community-based facility where we provide services.
- In adherence to PREA standards, The Harris Center has established adequate prevention planning, reporting mechanisms, training & education, investigative protocols, and screening procedures, in order to identify and mitigate risks for sexual victimization and abusiveness. The Harris Center enforces a non-retaliation policy for any resident or staff member who reports abuse. Documentation of adherence to PREA standards, including incident reports, investigative reviews, and corrective action plans shall be collected and maintained according to federal regulations.
How to Report
The Harris Center Dual Diagnosis Residential Program (DDRP) and Harris County Residential Treatment Center (HCRTC) offers multiple ways to report sexual abuse and sexual harassment. Reports can be made anonymously.
- Call the Harris County Community Supervision Corrections Department (HCCSCD) PREA Reporting line at (832) 927-PREA (7732).
- Send an email to PREAReporting@csc.hctx.net.
- Report to any staff, volunteer, contractor, or medical or mental health staff.
- Submit a grievance or a sick call slip.
- Tell a family member, friend, legal counsel, or anyone else outside the facility. They can report on your behalf by calling (832) 927-PREA (7732) or email PREAReporting@csc.hctx.net.
Note that you also can submit a report on someone’s behalf, or someone at the facility can report for you using the ways listed here:
Send a letter to PREA Ombudsman Office:
PO Box 99
Huntsville, TX 77342-0099
Or call (936) 437-5570